During the month of September, banks are scheduled to remain closed for a total of 16 days due to both national and regional holidays. In some states, banks will be closed to observe Sri Krishna Janmashtami, Ganesh Chaturthi, Maharaja Hari Singh’s birth anniversary, and Eid-i-Milad-ul-Nabi. Other holidays include all Sundays as well as the second and fourth Saturdays.
The RBI as the banking regulatory authority in India, determines the bank holiday schedules for the whole year. Bank holidays in India also consist of mandatory holidays set by the banking sector and additional holidays for festivals and special occasions authorised by different states. As per RBI guidelines, both public sector banks and private sector banks do not work on Sundays and on the second and fourth Saturdays of each month.
Holidays are classified into three categories by the RBI, which include Holidays under the Negotiable Instruments Act, Real Time Gross Settlement Holidays, and Banks’ Closing of Accounts. According to the Reserve Bank’s calendar, apart from the weekends, there are 11 bank holidays in September.
Bank-related work will not pose any inconvenience to people as essential services like ATMs, cash deposits, online banking, and mobile banking will continue to operate during these holidays.
It’s important to note that September 30 has been specified as the final date for exchanging or depositing the withdrawn Rs 2,000 banknotes, as per the Reserve Bank of India’s guidelines. Despite this deadline, these banknotes will remain as legal tender even after September 30.
List of Bank Holidays in September:
- September 3, 2023: Banks will remain closed due to Sunday.
- September 6, 2023: Banks in Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Hyderabad, and Patna will remain closed for Shri Krishna Janmashtami.
- September 7, 2023: Shri Krishna Janmashtami will lead to bank closures in cities like Ahmedabad, Chandigarh, Dehradun, Gangtok, Telangana, Jaipur, Jammu, Kanpur, Lucknow, Raipur, Ranchi, Shillong, Shimla, and Srinagar.
- September 9, 2023: The second Saturday marks a bank holiday across the country.
- September 10, 2023: Sunday brings a holiday for all banks.
- September 17, 2023: Another Sunday brings a nationwide bank holiday.
- September 18, 2023: Banks in Bengaluru and Telangana will be closed for Vinayaka