The government extended the deadline for linking the Permanent Account Number (PAN) with the Aadhaar card by three months, to 30 June 2023, on Tuesday. The decision to give taxpayers more time to link their PAN with Aadhaar comes just before the current deadline, which was set to expire on March 31, this year.
The Income Tax Department previously mandated that PANs be linked to Aadhaar cards by March 31, 2023. The I-T department has also provided links on its website for taxpayers to use to determine whether their PAN is linked to Aadhaar.
If a taxpayer fails to do so by 30 June, his or her PAN will become inactive, preventing you from filing income tax returns, performing various banking services, or engaging in stock market transactions.
Here’s how to check Aadhar-PAN card link status online?
1. Go to the Income Tax e-filing portal — https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal/
2. On the homepage, select Quick Links, then Link Aadhaar Status
3. Now you will see two fields where the taxpayer needs to enter PAN and Aadhaar numbers
4. Following this, a pop-up message will be displayed.
5. If Aadhaar and PAN are linked, the message will say – Your PAN is already linked to given Aadhaar
6. If your PAN and Aadhaar are not linked, a message will be on your screen saying – PAN not linked with Aadhaar. Please click on ‘Link Aadhaar’ to link your Aadhaar with PAN
7. If the Aadhaar-PAN link is in progress, the person will see this message – Your Aadhaar-PAN linking request has been sent to UIDAI for validation. Please check the status later by clicking on ‘Link Aadhaar Status’ link on Home Page.
To check the status of documents via SMS, send an SMS to 567678 or 56161. If your Aadhaar card is linked to your PAN, you will receive the following message: Aadhaar is already associated with PAN in ITD database. Thank you for taking advantage of our services.
If it is not linked, the taxpayer will be informed that Aadhaar is not associated with a PAN (number) in the ITD database. Thank you for taking advantage of our services.