The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Gandhinagar’s Indian Institute of Teacher Education (IITE) to help teachers in Sainik Schools receive training. On behalf of the Ministry of Defence, Rakesh Mittal, Joint Secretary (Land & Works) and Honorary Secretary, Sainik Schools Society (SSS), and Registrar of IITE Dr. Himanshu Patel signed the MoU in New Delhi on December 10, 2021, in the presence of Defence Secretary Dr. Ajay Kumar and IITE Vice-Chancellor Dr. Harshad A Patel.
The Defence Secretary described the MoU as a significant step toward capacity building of Sainik School teachers in terms of imparting quality education to students with Indian ethos, and said it would help to enhance the brand of not only existing Sainik Schools but also 100 upcoming Schools.
The MoU is for a five-year period beginning in January 2022, during which time 800 plus teachers from all Sainik Schools will be trained through courses called ‘Gurudiksha’ and ‘Pratibaddhta.’
The main goal of this MoU is to provide transformative knowledge of Indian traditions to future teachers and continue the legacy of teacher education focused on the integral development of teachers. The following are some other noteworthy aspects of the MoU:
- Implementation of New Education Policy in schools.
- Development of Leadership qualities among students.
- Time management of UPSC-NDA preparation and CBSE curriculum.
- Selection of appropriate pedagogies for academic subjects.
- Inspiring and motivating teachers and students.
- Lesson plan assessment strategies.
- Dealing with individual differences, emotional & behavioural problems of students as a Mentor.
- Dealing with parents as a mentor.
- Enhancing Teacher-Pupil relationship in boarding school environment.
Nivedita Shukla Verma, Additional Secretary, and other senior civil and military officials from the Ministry of Defence were present.