According to police, an 18-year-old man suffered severe burn injuries after his “fire haircut” went wrong at a salon in Vapi, Gujarat’s Valsad district, on Thursday.
The fire haircut, which has recently gained popularity, is a process in which a hairdresser uses fire to style the customer’s hair.
A video clip of the Vapi incident, which occurred on Wednesday, went viral on social media, showing the fire set on the victim’s hair as part of the process burning out of control.
The victim received burn injuries on his neck and chest and was taken to a hospital in Vapi from where he was referred to the Civil Hospital in Valsad, a Vapi town police station official said.
The victim, resident of Bhadakmora area in Vapi, had gone to get the “fire haircut’ at the salon in Sulpad area, police said.
Investigating officer Karamsinh Makwana said a process was underway to take the statements of the victim and the hairdresser.
“We are trying to get the statement of the victim. He was admitted to the Civil Hospital in Valsad. We have learnt that from there he was taken to a hospital in Surat,” Makwana said.
As per primary information, the victim’s upper body parts suffered severe burns after of some kind of a chemical was applied on his head for the haircut, police officials said.
An investigation was on to ascertain which chemical was used for the ‘fire haircut’