From Wednesday to Thursday, a cyclonic circulation off the coast of Karnataka moves northeastward, bringing heavy to very heavy rain to Gujarat and Maharashtra’s coasts, with a peak period on Wednesday. The total rainfall accumulation is expected to be between 100 and 120 mm.
The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has issued an orange warning for heavy rains, thunderstorms, and strong surface winds in Gujarat, Madhya Maharashtra, Konkan, and Goa.
The islands of Andaman and Nicobar are also on orange alert. This is because, from Wednesday to Thursday, a low-pressure area over the central Andaman Sea will bring very heavy to extremely heavy rains, with total rainfall of 100-150 mm across the Andaman & Nicobar Islands. By Thursday, this low-pressure area is likely to turn into depression. By Friday, it will have intensified into a cyclonic storm, moving west-northwestward over the Bay of Bengal and reaching the coasts of north Andhra Pradesh and Odisha around Saturday morning.
The cyclonic storm is expected to bring heavy to extremely heavy rain. Over the weekend, 150-200 mm of rain is expected along the coast from Andhra Pradesh to Odisha to Gangetic West Bengal. This weekend, wind gusts of 60-70 km/h will be seen along the coasts of Andhra Pradesh and Odisha.
Meanwhile, heavy rains or snow will fall across parts of Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand on Thursday due to a western disturbance. Over the weekend, another western disturbance will affect these areas.
On Wednesday and Thursday, maximum temperatures will be significantly below normal across Gujarat, West Madhya Pradesh, and the surrounding areas. During this week, however, readings in the Western Himalayan Region and Northeast India will be significantly above normal. Throughout the subcontinent, minimum temperatures will be above to significantly above normal this week, with significantly warmer than average nights in the Western Himalayan Region and Northeast India.
- Heavy rainfall/snowfall are forecast over parts of Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
- Heavy rain is expected over parts of Andaman & Nicobar Islands, East Rajasthan, West Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat Region and Madhya Maharashtra.
- Widespread rainfall with thunderstorms is predicted over Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- Fairly widespread rain/snow with thunderstorms are likely over Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh.
- Fairly widespread rains with thunderstorms are forecast over East Rajasthan, Konkan & Goa, Madhya Maharashtra and Kerala & Mahe.
- Scattered showers with thunderstorms are possible over West Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Marathawada, Karnataka and Lakshadweep.
- Isolated rains with thunderstorms are likely over Odisha, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Chandigarh & Delhi, Punjab, West Rajasthan, East Madhya Pradesh, Vidharbha, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Tamil Nadu, Puducherry & Karaikal.