On Wednesday morning, a fire broke out in the ICU of a private hospital in Banaskantha’s Shihori town. In the incident, a four-day-old infant died from suffocation. Two other children’s conditions are considered critical, and they have been transferred to a government hospital for treatment. According to witnesses, the doctor on duty refused to treat them, so they were transferred to Deesa for further treatment.
A short circuit in the ICU of Dr. Kalyansingh Sodha’s Honey Hospital for Children in Shihori allegedly caused the fire.
The tragedy claimed the life of Lalabhai Rawal’s four-day-old son, who was admitted to the ICU in Umbari village, Kankrej taluka.
People gathered outside the hospital were terrified by the intensity of the fire. The incident was reported to the fire department while locals attempted to extinguish it using fire safety systems installed on the premises.
There are allegations that the doctor at the Primary Health Centre (PHC) did not open the door to admit the children. He allegedly also behaved rudely with people who brought the children there. “When the people called the police, the doctor allegedly said, “We do not admit children who have come from private hospitals.”
The two children were then transported to Deesa for medical treatment. Police filed an accidental death report and began an investigation.
Doctor’s action reported to seniors
Brijesh Vyas, the incharge superintendent of BHO, stated that there are two doctors at Shihori PHC, but both are on deputation. Because Shihori is a large centre, it has been suggested that a permanent doctor be appointed. In addition, after receiving a complaint that the doctor on duty was rude to people, the matter was forwarded to higher officials.