In a significant step, the Central government has declared 10% reservation for ex-Agniveers in vacancies within Border Security Force (BSF), as well as relaxed upper age-limit norms depending on whether they are part of the first or subsequent batches.
Using its powers, the Central Government declared that the Border Security Force, General Duty Cadre (Non-Gazetted) Recruitment Rules, 2015 would be amended to become the Border Security Force, General Duty Cadre (Non-Gazetted) (Amendment) Recruitment Rules, 2023.
Another addition to the Border Security Force, General Duty Cadre (Non-Gazetted) (Amendment) Recruitment Rules, 2023. It exempts former Agniveers from taking the physical proficiency test.
Following criticism of the Agniveer scheme, which provides for only 25% of Agniveers to be absorbed in the defence forces upon completion of their four-year stint while the remaining 75% are demobilised, the MHA announced shortly after that 10% of vacancies in Central para-military forces and Assam Rifles would be reserved for demobilised Agniveers.
The age range for recruitment to the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) is 18-23 years. So, anyone who is enrolled as an Agniveer between the ages of 17 and 22 can be recruited into CAPFs until the age of 26.
According to an official MHA release, the first batch of Agniveers is eligible for a 10% job quota in CAPFs and Assam Rifles until the age of 28.
The move will benefit the CAPFs in getting trained personnel at the pre-recruitment stage itself, saving them the usual time and training costs before the new recruits can take up field duties.