In the early hours of Friday, a fire broke out in the pantry car of the Ahmedabad-Chennai Navjeevan Express near Gudur railway junction in Andhra Pradesh, but no casualties were reported, according to official sources.
One of the heaters used for cooking was apparently not turned off, resulting the fire, sources added.
As the train approached Gudur at 2.45 a.m., an alert pointsman noticed smoke billowing from the pantry car and raised an alarm.
The train was immediately stopped at Gudur junction.
“The Automatic Fire Suppression System in the pantry got activated even as three windows were broken to let the smoke out. The AC supply was also cut and the fire put out,” South Central Railway Vijayawada division spokesperson Nusrat M Mandrupkar told PTI.
The train was detained at Gudur for about 82 minutes and the pantry car was detached before the onward journey resumed, she said.